Sunday 21 March 2010

Canoeing, Nature and Needs

Today we went to see the Paddling Film Festival.

My favourite was called "Finding Farley" in which a couple, their two year old and their dog paddled from Canmore, Alberta to Hudson's Bay, then from Quebec to Newfoundland and eventually to Nova Scotia to visit Farley Mowat, while visiting the settings for many of his books along the way.

I was reminded of the importance of keeping a connection with nature. We are increasingly "nature illiterate" in our society, and we suffer for it. We forget that we are part of the greater ecosystem, and in denying it, often serve to destroy it without even being fully aware of doing so.

I truly believe that a stronger cultural connection to nature and its rhythms would go a long way in alleviating depression and over-consumption in our society. At least, it works that way for me personally. I am never more at peace than when I am standing in the protective shadow of an ancient tree, or paddling down a pristine river. How many more sunrises and sunsets I enjoy when camping than when following the urban rat-race!

Kids have a natural pull towards the outdoors. We would do well to listen and nurture the connection. Their future may well depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment