Monday 22 March 2010

Birthdays

Each year I go a wee bit nuts planning elaborately themed birthday parties for my kids. We have had an Enchanted Forest party, a Scooby-Doo mystery, a pirate search for treasure, 2 train-themed parties, 2 Harry Potter themed parties, a canoeing/caving/camping party and an Amazing Race themed party,among others (I also do Halloween Parties some years). It is the place where my latent over-planning tendencies left over from teaching emerge!

This year one of my sons is having a movie marathon sleepover as he wants something less "pretendy". We may make waxen "Hands of Glory" to match the movies (Harry Potter again--this time #5 and #6). I will be setting up some more casual games and they will use them as desired. But I will still go nuts on the wizard food! Butterbeer, pumpkin juice, fire whiskey (gingerbeer I will make extra spicy somehow), chocolate frogs, a castle cake, wizard wand kebabs and/or chocolate fondue with breadstick wands and various candies they can roll the dipped wand in, etc. I think it would be a long time before we ran out of new ideas for the HP theme.

The youngest is going for a dragon theme, but is "allowing" me to add some of the medieval activities, such as building catapults and storming the castle. We will also be having a dragon-egg hunt, with paper mache dragon eggs filled with t-shirts which will determine the teams for the party games (red shirts vs. green shirts).
His castle cake will have a smaller (fire-breathing with dry ice effect) dragon climbing up the back. Pictures to follow, assuming it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment