Friday 18 February 2011

Bucket List of Giving

You've probably heard about "bucket lists" from the movie of the same title. The idea is that you make a list of "must do" items to complete before you die. This can be a great way to get your life back on track and to focus on the things that are most important to you.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what I can contribute to the world that is truly meaningful. What causes mean the most to me? What differences can I make in this world to leave it better for my descendants?
It's a difficult choice, and the possibilities can seem too great to know where to start.

Then I remembered (actually, through a cheesy ad on Facebook) about making a bucket list. The two ideas seem to go hand in hand. So I am going to work on a bucket list of giving. Here are a few ideas, but the list is still in the making:
- spend a day planting trees with a group of neighbours or youth each spring and fall
- make my home a meeting place for my kids' friends to come and help work on service projects
- volunteer my services as a tutor for kids whose parent's cannot afford it
- visit a 3rd world country with my family so we can learn first hand about how the rest of the world lives, and hopefully participate in helping that community
- make crafts with the kids to sell at the annual holiday bazaar and let the kids donate proceeds to their choice of charity
- become more aware of the various cultures in our community and participate in cultural events
- remember to start carrying cash so I'm prepared to give when I see a homeless person
- remember to buy for the food drive in the "off season" too
- participate in creek/river/park cleanups when needed
- write more letters and raise awareness on key issues esp. regarding children and the environment
- play "secret Santa" all year long, whenever I can find an opportunity to lift someone's spirits
- write letters to the stores and businesses I boycott to let them know that I'm doing it and why--like the Bulk Barn store I avoid after hearing a manager there complain about a "bag lady" who "had the nerve" to stand outside the store (she was afraid the woman would scare off customers!), and the numerous businesses with signs that limit the # of students in the store at a time, as well as Walmart, Costco, etc.

There will be more, but this is a starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment