Friday 31 December 2010

New Year, Old Habits

Every New Year's Eve I do it: I resist the urge to make resolutions. I once read somewhere that it's a bad time of year to try and change habits, but I think it might just be that I've never liked the idea of feeling forced/coerced into doing something simply because others are doing it. I'm a rebel at heart I guess. An armchair rebel perhaps, but a rebel nonetheless.

Let's face it, most resolutions are broken within a few weeks. But maybe there are some kind of resolutions that really could work at this time of year. I'm sure that if I decided to, I would be able to keep a resolution that had me increase my chocolate intake, hug my dog more often, go for more/longer nature walks, or play more board games with the kids. So maybe I've just been looking at New Year's resolutions the wrong way.

What resolutions are truly worthy of us? Of course, that all just depends. And, what is the best timing for making changes in one's life? For some, it might be September. For others, the spring might be best. And some changes are best accomplished now.

So once again, while others worry about such things, I am going to approach the holiday in a mellow state of mind. My family and I will pull out our shoebox full of this past year's memories--ticket stubs, brochures from outings, photos, programs, business cards, awards, etc. and reminisce about the past year. We'll either visit with friends or go see the local fireworks display, then we'll come home and toast the new year quietly before heading off to bed. And we will not feel guilty at all.

Happy New Year! May 2011 bring you health, happiness, love, peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment