Tuesday 20 July 2010

The Lemonade Energy Pages are Up!

The Lemonade energy pages are up now. There are dozens of energy-related experiments and activities to try out.

The categories are divided into electrical, solar, wind (including a sub-section loaded with experiments on air pressure), kinetic/potential energy, chemical, and insulation/conductivity.

The activities include lots of interesting and diverse concepts from practical tips for building your own Rube Goldberg machine, to making endothermic and exothermic reactions, building your own solar still and using a balloon to light a florescent light tube. You can see how energy can be stored in a flywheel using your own bike and see just how heavy a sheet of newspaper can be (you may not even be able to lift it!).

I chose these particular activities because they are hands-on, lots of fun, and memorable. They also lend themselves well to group work as well as further exploration into the given topic.

This time there are a couple of experiments that we didn't pre-test that are external links (stomp rockets and elephant toothpaste). When I get to these, I will provide any feedback if needed. I usually try and pre-test everything that goes onto the site before posting. If you have tried either of these, (or any other activities on the Lemonade site for that matter!) I would appreciate your feedback so I can make the site as useful as possible for all visitors.

Side note: I did pre-test the tempera paint stenciled t-shirts that I posted here on the blog earlier, but my most recent batch ran when I washed them. I suspect I did not use a hot enough iron this time, or it could be that I accidentally used washable tempera. If you try this one out, you may want to try out a piece of test fabric first.

No comments:

Post a Comment