Sunday 9 May 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

To everyone who is or has a mother, Happy Mother's Day!

Do any of you ever feel pressured by "manufactured" holidays such as this? I know I do--even when on the receiving end of things.

Like Earth Day and Father's Day, it feels like there should be something more than the usual amount of caring shown. So it becomes a challenge, and each year the expectations (even if they're just imagined) grow. There is also the social aspect of it--"my kids did X", or "I did Y for my mom". No matter what we do, it sometimes seems like it just isn't enough, or that we don't deserve it.
It's like our favourite bedtime game:
"I love you THIS much!"
"Yeah, well, I love you INFINITY!"
"Yeah, well, I love you INFINITY to the power of INFINITY!" And so on.

What would I like for Mother's Day? From my family, I'd like my kids to forgive me now for the things I get wrong as a parent, and to let me know that they know I'm trying my best--you know, help allay some of that horrible "mommy guilt" that tends to build up over time. I also wouldn't mind a family game of Catan, esp. one free of arguments!

From the world I would like for us mothers to support each other a little more. We often fight each other in ideological ways--stay at home vs. work outside the home, religious ideology, political ideology, etc. when we could all better benefit each other and especially our kids by focusing on our love for our kids instead of our differences. The kids could only benefit from such acceptance and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment